House hacking can be one of the best ways to generate income without extra efforts or work. In this method, a person purchases a property to live and gives one portion of it on rent. In spite of a few shortcomings, it is a great technique to earn a good amount of money to pay off your debts.
Owning a home is a dream for most people, yet it is not easy for many to balance a budget and save money for this purpose. According to a survey, an average American spends 40 to 60% of their income to purchase their own house. In such a situation, house hacking can be a useful option for them.
Positive Aspects of House Hacking
House hacking can be done in a single house, duplex, apartment, or any other living area. After purchasing, you can give a portion of such living properties on rent and can get a regular payment to pay off the property cost. Some major benefits of doing house hacking are as under:
1. Pay-off different loans: Most of the people, living in a city, have not sufficient income to fulfil all their needs. Therefore, they have to get different types of loans to purchase land, vehicles or to spend on the studies etc. In these circumstances, they can do house hacking and can get a regular income to pay off such loans.
2. Income Growth: After giving a portion of your house or property, you get an amount of money on a monthly basis. This increases your income without doing extra work. You can save this money to purchase more property or to pay regular household expenses such as electricity bill, school fees, payment of insurance, house repairing cost etc.
3. Gain a Landlord Experience: Lots of people hesitate to purchase properties on a large scale as they do not have experiences in this field. But, house hacking provides you with this opportunity. You can rent out your apartment and can gain knowledge on how to manage properties, taking care of tenants, doing repairing work etc.
4. Ownership of property and peace of mind: Saving money from your regular income can take a long time to become the owner of a property and you feel the burden of a debt for an ample period of time. But, through house hacking, you generate passive income regularly. After paying debts in a short time period, you can become the owner of the property soon and can live peacefully for the rest of your life.
Different methods of house hacking: There are different ways of house hacking. You can get knowledge about this method online also. For example, guides like https://fibyrei.com/house-hacking-ultimate-guide/, provides good information regarding various methods of house hacking which are easy to practice. You can choose any method as per your convenience and comfort level. Some other unique ways of doing house hacking also include the following.
1. Single Room: If you have a room which is rarely used, you can share it with your friends, relatives, co-worker, or short term vacationers etc. Here, you may have to share common areas like the bathroom, lobby, kitchen etc. with others. It can provide you with free rent without spending extra on building another room.
2. Modifying existing space: In case, you do not have any extra room, you can modify your existing space to make it able for living. It can be your basement, garage, or lobby also. This will save you money on repairs, also. The saving and rented money can be utilized for paying off mortgages.
3. Rent out a separate building within your premise: Some properties have a separate building or small pool house within their premises. If you do not want to share your personal living area with anyone, you can give such buildings on rent. This will protect your privacy and increase the value of your home also.
4. Choose a multi-unit home: Many home aspirants like to pursue a multi-unit house or a duplex to pay- off their mortgages. In such types of houses, you can give one unit for rent and can keep an entire unit for yourself. This protects your privacy as well as provides a good amount of income as rent.
5. Select a home under construction: Some people do not like to be a landlord or owner of a house. They can select homes under construction. In such a method, they can fix a portion of the house to live by themselves and let construction going on in another part. Thus, they can save money from living on rent and can move to another house after selling it. If they move after one year they can save capital gain tax also.
Although, in a single house, you have to make compromises like sharing your assets with others, yet this sacrifice provides you with a solution of so many problems. In addition to this, there are so many other ways of doing house hacking as mentioned above. Thus, this technique can prove beneficial in so many ways for you and your family.