If you want to take your family on an exciting rafting trip that isn’t extremely challenging or if you’re looking to test your skills before taking on the Royal Gorge, look no further. Bighorn Sheep Canyon is perfect for families and adventurers alike. Embark on one of the best family white water rafting trips down the canyon for thrills and sightseeing.
Bighorn Sheep Canyon offers enough excitement to engage ages 6 and up, but won’t be too scary for your littles. The suggested weight is at least 50 pounds. You can do full or half days depending upon how much to adventure you would like in one day.
Bighorn Sheep Canyon
Bighorn Sheep Canyon begins 10 miles east of Canyon City and runs west to Salida for approximately 50 miles. The river is divided into two main sections the upper and lower. Located close to Colorado Springs, you can make a trip out of the rafting adventure with tons of fun things to do around the area.
Upper Bighorn Sheep Canyon
The upper section of Bighorn Sheep Canyon is home to mellow water. It is class II and III meant for beginners and intermediate levels. The beginning starts out very mild and then escalates to moderate-sized rapids. One of the first rapids you will encounter is called Warmup, and the title fits!
Ease your family into rafting on the upper portion of the canyon. This area of the river is excellent for small children and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the scenery. Try to spot some Bighorn Sheep while you float along the river.
Lower Bighorn Sheep Canyon
The lower section of Bighorn Sheep Canyon is more popular and will thrill the whole family. On this stretch of the river lookout for SpikeBuck, Double Dip, Sharks Tooth, and my personal favorite name, Satan’s Suckhole rapids.
As you can tell from the names, the lower section is a large amount of white water and has the best rapids. It gets a little more adventurous the further you raft down the canyon. Make sure you have digested your food before embarking on this section as one of the rapids near the top is called Lose Your Lunch.
Other Activities To Do While Rafting Bighorn Sheep Canyon
While taking a rafting trip on Bighorn Sheep Canyon, take advantage of the wilderness experience this area has to offer. Embark on other exciting adventures, or relax and enjoy the beauty Colorado has to offer.
Camp or Rent a Yurt Along the River
- Stay right along the Arkansas River after a day of rafting in a yurt!
- Plenty of options from packages with rafting or AirBnB a yurt.
- Options of cabins, glamping sites, and tent options.
- Fall asleep to the calming sounds of the river in the rustic atmosphere.
Jump In and Swim!
- If the water levels permit there are places to stop and swim.
Pullover, Relax and Spot Some Wildlife
- If the excitement is getting to be too much there are places to stop and rest on the rafting trips.
- Try to spot some Bighorn Sheep or deer while you relax.
Royal Gorge Train Ride
- Two-hour train ride.
- Thousand-foot canyon walls.
- See the Royal Gorge bridge.
- There are packages for rafting and the Royal Gorge train ride.
Royal Gorge Dinosaur Experience
- Located really close to rafting experiences.
- Museum Tour has 10,000 square feet of exhibit space.
- Test your balance and skill on the 3-story T-Rex Terror Ropes Course.
- On the Dinosaur Wild Walk see 16 life-size animatronic dinos.
Take a Weekend Trip Filled With Adventure
Make a trip out of the rafting experience and get immersed in nature with an overnight stay. There is so much to do around the area, you can fill a weekend with adventures your loved ones will cherish forever. What are you waiting for? Start planning those priceless smiles rafting down Bighorn Sheep Canyon will surely bring!