The most common grooming questions new dog owners ask are about washing their pet. How often should you wash your dog? How to carry out this procedure correctly? Here are some tips to help make the washing process painless and enjoyable for both of you. You might be wondering how often you should bathe your dog, what shampoos are best for sensitive skin, or how to wash a dog that hates baths. Read on for tips and tricks to make bath time a breeze!
How often to wash your dog
- In urban conditions, the dog must be washed often – once every 1-2 weeks, since there are a lot of various substances in the air and on the ground that pollute the animal’s fur.
- Outside the city, where the dog brings on itself only sand and plant debris, but is cleaned in a natural way, you can limit yourself to combing and washing once every 2-3 months.
- Of course, the grooming of the coat of representatives of different breeds is significantly different. Thus, long-haired individuals, especially light-colored ones, require more frequent and careful grooming, while short-haired individuals will feel comfortable swimming once a quarter.
How to wash your dog properly
- Put a rubber mat in the bath or shower so that the dog’s paws do not slip and it is more comfortable for her to stand;
- Bathing water should be warm, comfortable for your hand. Otherwise, hypothermia or burns to the pet’s skin may occur. If the dog is uncomfortable, it will begin to tremble or even whine;
- You need to lather the dog very carefully. It is better to start from the back of the pet, then move on to the legs and stomach. The head should be washed last: you need to make sure that the shampoo and water do not flow into the eyes and ears. If washing your dog’s face makes him feel uncomfortable, try using products that are not irritating to the eyes.
- It is recommended to soap the dog two or three times, rinse thoroughly, and then rinse the coat with conditioner, so that it is easier to comb and is shiny;
- After the shower, you need to thoroughly dry the pet, paying special attention to the ears;
- It is important to make sure that the apartment is warm enough and there are no drafts, as a wet dog can easily catch a cold;
- If the dog’s coat is prone to tangling, it must be combed before washing, and then dried with a hairdryer. As with water, it is important that the air is not too hot.